Skip to content

Clarke & Son Blog​

Changing your name – Avoid the pitfalls with legal advice

Andrea Boulter, Senior Family Law Solicitor

Are you thinking of changing your name either upon marriage, civil partnership or after divorce? Do you want to double-barrel or mesh your spouse’s surname with your own? Are you a man who has decided to take your new wife’s name? This interesting article explains all the ways you can do this and how to avoid the pitfalls. If you need any help with a name change, we can offer legal advice.

Your marriage or civil partnership certificate does not in any way indicate the surname you’ll have after the ceremony, yet you can use it to prove you have changed your name.

To change your surname to your spouse or civil partner’s surname (or to double-barrel your joint surnames) on your passport or driving licence you need to fill in the relevant forms requesting the change and present your marriage certificate.

Read more:  http://bit.ly/2lh2Weq

If you have a query or would like to book an appointment please get in touch with our First Contact team on 01256 320555 or email mail@clarkeandson.co.uk

Feel free to share:


Contact Details

If you have any questions or would like to enquire about one of our services, please fill in the enquiry form below and one of the team will get back to you.