Skip to content

Clarke & Son Blog​

How can I make sure that my live-in boyfriend has no claim on my property?

How can I make sure that my live-in boyfriend has no claim on my property?

Andrea Boulter, Head of Family Law

With 1 in 8 adults in England and Wales living in a couple but not currently married or civil partnered it is clear that more and more couples are choosing to live together and share their lives without getting married. Whilst emotionally you may feel no different to a married couple; cohabiting couples do not share the same legal rights as those who marry. This can make things difficult if the relationship breaks down especially in regards to finance and property. This article is a good example of when you may need to think about a cohabitation agreement.

“My boyfriend is about to move in with me. We both own our own homes, he is going to rent his out. My parents keep telling me I need to ‘protect my asset’, but I’m not sure how to do this. I don’t want him to have any claim on my home as we will be buying another place together in the future that we will share ownership of, but I want the home I bought before I met him to be my nest egg.

The plan is for him to pay half the bills and half the interest on my mortgage repayments – it doesn’t seem fair for him to contribute to the capital repayments when he isn’t going to have a stake in the property.

What legal documents should we get drawn up before he moves in?”

Read more: http://bit.ly/2iQ7XZq

If you have a query or would like to book an appointment please get in touch with our First Contact team on 01256 320555 or email mail@clarkeandson.co.uk

Feel free to share:


Contact Details

If you have any questions or would like to enquire about one of our services, please fill in the enquiry form below and one of the team will get back to you.